Friday, April 29, 2011

Vitamins for Haiti

In November 2009, mom and I were blessed with the opportunity to be part of a medical mission team visiting Haiti. Our team of health practitioners, organized by Coram Deo International Aid, was sent to work for the Adoration Christian Centre to not only provide care for approx. 300 people/day in medical clinics in and around Port-au-Prince and at the Adoration school, but also to demonstrate a love for Christ and a zeal to work for the glory of God. What an amazing experience this was...no longer will I take what I have in life for granted.. my family, security, home, health, and even the unimportant material things.The average Haitian income is only a $1 a day..SO poor, I don't think we can really, fully understand that while living here in Canada. We also did a few home visit and wow! their home, or shanty, was the size of your living room and it was not uncommon for large families to share this small space. And this was before the earthquake in January 2010...I can hardly imagine life in Haiti now.
Students at Adoration Christian Centre
 Honestly, I could go on and on about the trip and the great things Randy and Karen Lodderand Kim Gringhuis have been able to do for the people in Haiti..but I'll let you read about it in their blogs!

hehe...he was actually scared of us! maybe because  deep down he knew that it wasn't a good idea to stick rocks in his ears?!?
And so...once again...because it was soo much fun the first time...WE ARE GOING AGAIN!!!
We leave...oops...did I say 'we'? oh dear...so sorry. I meant to say, my mom, is going again, Lord willing, with another medical mission team! She doesn't know yet that I am going to sneak into the small crevice she left open in her suitcase and fly down with them ;) And if I'm going, then Charlie has to come with me too...hmmm..maybe not enough room in the suitcase then? yah..Charlie is getting kinda big these days...aww! shucks! Of course, I would love to go again someday.

Kim and I doing 'reception'
Anyways, without me, my mom and the rest of the team leave Thursday May 5th (next week already!) and returning home again May 13th.  Last time we ended up taking a snowboard bag filled with crutches, medicine, and school supplies. We also filled up our suitcases with donated clothes, oral care products and handmade teddy bears for the kids and $20,000 worth of medication! Unfortunately, this time around, they are unable to take that much medication with them because customs is starting to confiscate it. This is so sad, because that medication is needed so much! Another thing these people are lacking is good nutrition and we found that a few doses of vitamins could go a long way in helping the Haitians feel a little better.

Our 'pharmacy' at one of the clinics

So....what I was thinking (and ran by my mom who thought it would be a great idea)...is to ask all of you who are reading this to buy a pack of vitamins. While you are grocery shopping this weekend, just swing by the vitamin aisle and pick out 1 bottle of vitamins of any kind, any brand. Multivitamins for kids, men, women and maternity are all needed. My mom is leaving on Thursday so if you could pass them on to her, or myself or anyone you know who will see her before she goes, that would be AWESOME! Whatever you can do to help out is greatly appreciated..not only by CDIA, the team members, but especially by the Haitians who have so little and could use a little extra vitamin C to brighten their day :)
"If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."  ~ 1 Peter 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment