Monday, April 4, 2011

It's One of a Kind

Being the creative wanna-be that I am, the spring 2011 'One of a Kind Show and Sale' seemed like the place to be! Gather a few sisters and voila!..girls trip to Toronto. If you've ever organized any sort of occasion - small or large - you would know how much work organizing actually is. Insane. Really. And since nowadays the in-thing is not to actually talk in person, but to email or text, it leaves a certain "I'm going to take technology and spank it' feeling. It can be frustrating at times, yet on the other hand, how did we live without it?? Texting managed to get 6 girls in 6 different locations at one spot at almost the same time. It also left me on the side of the road with a cellphone on the verge of going up in flames.
After braving Toronto traffic, getting lost in a parking garage and finding the first available bathroom and something to fill our stomachs, we finally got to see 450 artisans exhibiting their handiwork..anything from body care, clothing, and food to jewellery, home decor, art, children's apparel, and woodwork. Amazing work..left me in awe of the talent that God has given people.
Of course, some of my favourite things were in the children's clothing and accessories department. Check out Mally Bibs for some SUPER cute leather bibs...I almost needed one for the all the drooling I was doing. If you want one...you can save$5 on your order by using the code 'Spring2011' until April 30/11.
Got an t-shirt that you love but it just doesn't seem to fit right? Take inspiration from necKnots. I think I might try making my own sometime!
Need a unique and beautiful Mother's Day gift? I couldn't help but stopping at almost every ceramics/pottery stands - which was kind of scary - almost cost me a couple hundred for just looking..and breaking...almost. Some artists have taken pottery to a whole new level..no more grandma looking bowls and cups - there are some GORGEOUS looking stuff out there. Dotti Potts was just one a few that caught my eye. Feel free to send me a gift from her ;)
Unfortunately I did NOT go home with any cool finds...$60 for a headband? Um..sorry, but no thank you! I completely understand that they need to make a living off what they are making, but seriously?? I'd have to sell my kidney to afford most of the things I awed and oohed over.

  Jenni,  however, did find some YUMMY hummus dips and spreads! It's one of those booths you keep going back to because you don't want to pay another $5 for a slice of pizza


I did get a chance to use the Sleepy Wrap borrowed from a friend and I am so glad I finally did use it. It's magic! If you are one to carry your baby around in a sling or snuggli...definitely try one of these. It is so comfy to wear...I can hardly use the snuggli anymore because the straps hurt my shoulders and my back is dying after 10 minutes. This wrap is just 1 long piece of fabric you wrap around yourself (which is actually easier to do than it looks). It doesn't hurt anywhere and it's true to its name...the baby will fall asleep in it. At first, Charlie just smiles and thinks its really funny but after a few minutes, he's nuzzling in and making the 'I'm gonna fall asleep any second' growl. Definitely going to be using this more often!
Good news is if you missed the Spring show there is a Christmas Show and Sale Nov 24th-Dec 4th 2011. Apparently, it's even better than the spring show..and cheaper, I hope!
Next stop: Creativfestival April 15th! Anyone want to come?!?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! I just read all of your blogs to date in one shot! Each post is pretty entertaining and I may have chuckled a few times:)

    Good luck with the vegetable garden! I love how you say you don't want to get carried away, but then list over 10 things you want to grow. I hope everything turns out including the onions!

    It's too bad we didn't run into each other at the One of a kind show! I was there on Sunday afternoon with Chelsea and her sisters...it was a great, but tiring show!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go to the creativfestival! where is it, what is it and most importantly, how much is it ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Dorothy..I didn't know you had a blog too! At first I saw DS and thought.."who wants to come with me!??" The festival is in mississauga and it's $15 for a ticket(but I have a coupons!) I'm not 100% sure I can go since Saturday is Ladies Day but maybe we can go Friday b/w 10-3? THere will be lots of stuff about sewing, knitting, beading, scrapbooking, etc. there...if you're intersted still just send me a message on fb :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah!
    Thank you..I've actually been really enjoying writing these..when I find the time! Are you growing anything this year? ALl my seeds did germinate..woohoo :)
    Maybe next year or show we can arrange to meet up...and you still have to do your 'after the baby' visit..I'm waiting! ;)

    ReplyDelete