Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On the Menu

For dinner tonight we had a favourite recipe of mine since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Sweet n' sour sauce with rice..mmm! I've tried many sweet n' sour recipes and this one definitely tops the list...you'll have to try and see for yourself!
After Charlie was born my mom asked what kind of dinner I would like her to make for us ( I know, she's the best!). Right away I thought of this meal. The recipe must have gotten lost in the shuffle but mom called up an aunt who knew a friend who had a sister who had a cousin who knew that her best friends fiance's mom had the recipe. Okay, okay...just kidding...she just called up that aunt.
Anyways...we've been enjoying this meal regularly now. One of the meals the kids don't pull a face at too!

Here it is:
  • 1lb or so lean ground beef
  • approx. 1/2 cup diced green pepper
  • approx. 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp soya sauce
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
Brown beef in skillet. Add peppers and pineapple once brown.
Meanwhile, pour everything except the cornstarch into a small pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp cornstarch and keep stirring with a fork. Once that cornstarch is well stirred in add the 2nd tbsp of cornstarch. This should get thick quick. Don't let it boil.
Once it's thick, add the sauce to the meat and let simmer on lo for 5-10 minutes.


 Oh..and don't forget to make some rice to serve it with too!

                                                                            Enjoy!

Jonahs' class trip was canceled today due to all the snow, but he was stoic about it all and didn't mind having the extra time to snuggle with his baby brother Charlie. God has certainly blessed him with such a caring heart..we are so thankful for it! So is the cat...Jonah cleaned out his eye gunk for him today too.


I

1 comment:

  1. Love your new blog, Sarah! I will definately be a follower. :) I have a similar recipe to the one above but I've always made it with chicken.I'll have to try yours and see how it compares. :) God bless your nest! :)
    Jennifer S.

    ReplyDelete