Thursday, March 24, 2011

In the Garden

If you're living in Southwestern Ontario you'll know what I'm talking about here. We had a few nice days of spring..we all got our spring jackets out, rubber boots, bikes and strollers and for some people..maybe a few gardending tools? and then...WHAM! A snow dump. Seriously!? Of course, we should be all use to this now..snow can come in March, April or even May if we're lucky. I think it's just harder to take once we've experienced the mild, sunny spring weather. Thankfully, I haven't had to go out into the snowy cold weather, just hibernating in here till it melts I think. (Missed my morning walk so far and..Jonah can walk home the 15K from school this aft, right?) I'm living vicariously through my kids whom I insist on sending outside to experience some fresh air and 'the last snowfall'. and...oh look...there's Caleb trying to scooter through the snow covered sidewalk.
If you didn't go as far as digging around in the dirt, maybe you were thinking about the garden. I'm thinking about my vegetable garden this year. This is the first year I am actually getting serious about a garden, so my experience is very limited. After reading  The Backyard Homestead I seem to have a 'go big or go home' attitude about this, but really, the realisation is that if I don't take it easy,  I'm going to be kicking myself once August comes around and pulling my hair out instead of the weeds!
So far, my list of veggies to grow includes celery, onions, peppers, tomatoes, kale, beans, potatoes, carrots, cucumber, lettuce and watermelon. We would also like to possibly try strawberries and perhaps a raspberry or blueberry patch.
Delving further into the 'The Backyard Homestead' is all about livestock, making your own beer and wine, etc..and this is where Dave is suddenly interested! Seriously though, chickens may be in the future...just gotta figure out a way past the no chicken bylaw..hmm...
I decided to try and grow some from seed.Why not? Looks easy enough. I've read books, gardening blogs,any possible pamphlet about gardening and asked a ton of questions to some experienced seed growers and I'm sure I've done it all wrong STILL! Onions, celery and peppers need to be seeded mid-March:
So far, after 7 days my onions started growing...yay! No sign of life from the celery and peppers, but the package states they germinate anywhere from 10-20 days, so I will practice my patience and hopefully I didn't screw it up! I mean..how hard should it be? dirt, seed, water and sun, right?
Hey..if you got any advice...I'll take it. We can barter.Your advice for some onions?


No comments:

Post a Comment